Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coach Mac fired (Read 418 times)
snowman33
Buff Backer Senior

Go Buffs!

Coach Mac fired
11/18/18 at 20:30:48

Im not surprised that they did it before the last game. I think they’re hoping the change will help us get our crap together and win this week so we can get to a bowl game. Now, who should we target as our next head coach? There is a lot of talent here so I think the opening will be very attractive to a lot of coaches. I’ll have to go think about it before I come up with my list of candidates.

Shoulder to Shoulder
View Profile   IP Logged
Buff 87
Administrator

Go Buffs!

Re: Coach Mac fired
Reply #1 - 11/19/18 at 13:40:50

With the signing date moved up schools really have to react much faster.  It is in bad taste to do it after signing day and the new coach needs time to put a class together.  Look at Kansas.  George needs to move fast but I think he has a list already.

View Profile   IP Logged
Buff 87
Administrator

Go Buffs!

Reply #2 - 11/19/18 at 13:44:41

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_32279510/potential-candidates-cu-buf fs-head-coaching-job?source=rss_viewed

A pretty good list.  No Bieniemy, ex-Buff great and current Chief's OC but other CU baggage, like Embree's OC.

View Profile   IP Logged
MECU
Buff Backer Junior

Go Buffs! '04

Reply #3 - 11/19/18 at 20:58:02

An okay list. Several names jumped out at me, but after looking at them, they put us as risk as being a stepping stone (ala CSU) or just aren't seasoned enough as a Head Coach for my tastes (ala VJ of Denver Broncos) or just baggage that don't appear to fit "Win Championships". There's no clear-cut home run on that list.

It seems we hired Mike Mac to do what he did at San Jose, and he did. I am in agreeance with Rick George: If you want to win Championships, you gotta hire for that.

Please don't misinterpret me. I think MikeMac was a great hire and did exactly what was asked and succeeded. But, as above, he wasn't asked to win championships. Given time, he might have, but in today's "What have you done for me lately" world, we'll never know.

The trouble is, anyone that we hire and pay to win championships, likely will have an eye to look elsewhere (SEC), to do exactly that, more easily. And the money part, really, really hurts.

Speaking of money, I hate this whole "give them a 5 year extension" and then fire them 2 years later. It cost us $10m that could be of much, much better use.

And while I'm on my soapbox, can we please stop these stupid DI-AA games?

Regardless, thanks Mike Mac for digging us out. I hope you have truly laid the foundation to springboard us to the next level.

RockyPrep - High School Football
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print